Project Description

SAN QUIRICO D’ORCIA

 

SAN QUIRICO D’ORCIA

An ancient medieval hamlet created as a stopping station on the Via Francigena.  San Quirico d’Orcia today, with its narrow lanes, high entrance doors to the town, wells and hidden corners, represents an evocative example of medieval civil structures.

Strolling in the town, a hidden lane opens onto the imposing magnificent Palazzo della Collegiata, a building dating back to the XII century.  From the central square, we enter into sixteenth century gardens, the Horti Leonini, a splendid example of Italian Renaissance.  At the bottom of the garden, there are ruins of the Torre del Cassero, a structure attached to the fortress, unfortunately destroyed by German soldiers during the retreat in 1944.

Various eras and events still breathe inside the building walls and in the small lanes of the town, an atmosphere without time, which makes this small village a must-be-seen destination in the Val d’Orcia itinerary.