Montepulciano: the Etruscan origins of Montepulciano are visible thanks to the three protective walls around the town, even though the hamlet is Medieval. Between the years of the 1400 and 1500’s the hamlet exploded into its maximum social, artistic and cultural state, becoming the hometown for prominent people such as the famous Agnolo Ambrogini, known also as the Poliziano, Pope Marcello II, poets and architects, who all contributed towards the construction of churches and buildings that line the streets of this small town. This is a hamlet with a strong personal identity, where there are many stories of how it fought against Siena to maintain its autonomy. The decision to side with Florence is the reason behind how the historical centre had been influenced architecturally by the latter.
Walking throught Montepulciano…
Moving through the streets, we can reach the highest point and main square, Piazza Grande, the monumental heart of the town. Piazza Grande is adorned with numerous historical buildings and churches such as Palazzo Avignonesi del Vignola, the Church of Sant’Agostino, Palazzo Cervini del San Gallo, the House of Poliziano and the Church of Santa Maria dei Servi dating back to the 15th Century. One’s gaze is easily captured by the town hall, the Palazzo del Comune because of it’s incredible similarity to Palazzo Vecchio of Florence, we can lose ourselves in the beauty of Palazzo Contucci, designed by Sangallo, Palazzo Tarugi del Vignola and the particular well, Pozzo dei Grifi e dei Leoni. Just outside of the town’s wall, constructed on the side of the hill where Montepulciano rises, we will find the wonderful Tempio della Madonna di San Biagio an impressive and astonishing building designed by Sangallo il Vecchio.